Diablo Release Information
The latest release version of Diablo is
5.1-REL. This and previous
versions of Diablo are available from
the OpenUsenet Diablo download page.
Full details of the changes can be found in the
Major changes from Diablo 5.0-REL to 5.1-REL:
- Fix a posting corruption bug that has existed since the original Diablo - highly recommended to upgr
ade to fix this.
- Maximum Age Policy - controls maximum article age.
- Changes to hashfeed - REQUIRES CONFIG FILE CHANGE if hashfeed is enabled.
- New diablo.config option 'readeridenttimeout'.
- New dreaderd option 'ratelimitrange'.
- New contrib/ for 'feedgraph' - RRD graphs for feeds.
- New dreaderd dserver.hosts options 'retention' and 'groupdef'.
- Extension fo dexpire '-s' to sync after a number of files deleted.
- Various improvements to mmap and madvise compatibility.
- New diablo.config option 'feedermaxheadersize'.
- Many, many other smaller additions, fixes and performance improvements.
Major changes from Diablo 4.x to 5.0-REL:
Major changes from Diablo 4.1-REL to 4.2-REL:
- New history expire/rebuild (dhisexpire) for minimal server downtime.
- Capability for much larger history files
- Experimental IPv6 support.
- Experimental compressed spools.
- Default max article size of 10MB for feeder and reader (config setting).
- Perl user authenticator for dreaderd.
- More flexible LDAP auth for dreaderd.
- Improvements to reader caching and new dexpirecache.
- Many minor performance improvements to the various components.
- Various new utilities.
- Many minor improvements and new features.
- Detect yenc binary encoding
- Upgrade to latest version of feeder-stats
- Add a timeout for dreaderd connections to the spool
- Fix bug in external filter handling of articles without trailing '\r\n.\r\n'
- Allow filtering of incoming articles by msgid hash
- Various bug fixes in dnewslink
- AIX support
Major changes from Diablo 4.0-REL to 4.1-REL:
- Security fix for NEWNEWS group restrictions
- Add a timeout for spool connections in dreaderd
- Improved internal spamfilter (NOTE: changed options)
- Add an option to restrict maximum article size accepted by dreaderd
- Improved stats logging for netremote in dreaderd
- Improved logging code
- Fixed compiling with USE_ZLIB enabled
- Tru64 support and 64-bit platform fixes
Major changes from Diablo 3.4-REL to 4.0-REL:
- Changes to the feeder storage format, including wireformat support
(Cannot move to older versions of diablo after upgrading)
- Significant improvements to feed throughput latency with the
'notify' option in dnewsfeeds.
- Significant improvement to history add performance (included in 3.4-REL)
- Added new 'hashfeed' option to allow articles to be split across
newsfeeds and spools based on a hash of the Message-ID
- Added inode based expire to feeder
- Added ability for reader to retrieve articles from a local spool
- Added Berkeley DB reader auth method
- Added PAM reader auth method
- Added ability to set maximum incoming article accept size
- Added ability to change many diablo.config values while server
- Improvements to dreaderd netremote authentication method, including
feedback of accounting information on connection close.
- Improvements to internal spamfilter (and changes to the options)
- Reader header/overview directory structure now configurable and
the hash method can be selected and changed.
- Reader article cache directory structure now configurable
- Allow reader to select spools based on groups and group name hash
- Experimental compressed newsfeed support
- Compile-time option to allow auto-ban lists for abusive reader clients
- Many, many bug fixes and small enhancements to most utilities, including
better documentation and simple usage reports when no options are
Major changes from Diablo 3.3-REL to 3.5-REL:
- Security fix for information leak in NEWNEWS group restrictions
- Fix history corruption bug and made a significant improvement to
history add performance.
- Minor bug fixes to dexpire and diloadfromspool
- Add 'quiet' option to reader config to stop logging of connects and
Major changes from Diablo 3.0-REL to 3.3-REL:
- Improved handling of header rewrites in reader
- Can now specify the directory structure layout for reader cache
- Fixes for dnewsfeeds parsing and pattern matchng
- Strip trailing whitespace in newsgroup names in reader
- Don't accept invalid Message-ID's in IHAVE on reader
- Use 423 response to article not found for request by art number
- Add 'queueskip' and 'articlestat' options to dnewsfeeds
- Don't compress whitespace in headers, except for XOVER
- Other minor bug fixes
- Fix buffer overflow for very long newsgroup names in reader
- Fix bug in handling of multiple A records for incoming feeds
- Fix bug in handling of on/off options in dnewsfeeds
- Better handing of disk errors for incoming header feeds for dreaderd
- Generate Xref entries for control groups in diablo
- Fix missing diablo.hosts in feeder-stats.pl
- Add an option to disable detailed reader logging
- Performance improvements to dnewslink
- Add bind options for dreaderd spool connections
- Updated sample moderators file
- Rename ignorebytes option to preservebytes in dnewsfeeds
- Don't reject newgroup messages posted to newsgroups that don't (yet) exist.
- Add a checkgroups option to dgrpctl
- Compressed spool logging
- Log incoming feed stats at NOTICE level
- More efficient binary article type categorisation
- Fix rate limit tax calculation so that it works
- Dynamically adjust the usleep time for realtime feeds.
- Add code to allow setting of compression level on compressed spools.
- Swap order of bytes and articles entries in the 'info server' syslog line.
- Add a per-session byte maximum value to dreaderd
- Minor improvements to various programs
- Many other minor bug fixes and enhancements.
Major changes from Diablo 2.X to 3.0-REL:
- Completely rewritten spool system that allocates articles to spool
objects (directories/partitions) with a very flexible expiry mechanism
that allows different expire methods and times based on newsgroups,
article size, article type, etc. This also includes an experimental
compressed spool type.
- Simplifed newsfeed configuration with all incoming and outgoing
configuration information in a single file (optional).
- Vastly improved and performance enhanced filtering mechanisms with
3 different filter types and full configuration of which articles are
sent to each type of filter with the same options as newsfeeds.
- Improved and syncronised command-line options for all utilities
with updated documentation and most options configurable in diablo.config.
- Vastly improved stats gathering for both reader and feeder.
- Efficient (optional) NEWNEWS support in reader.
- Group restrictions per reader definition
- New reader authentication types
- Hook for C filter for local posts
- Many bug fixes
- Many other minor enhancements